Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let's talk about Spring, Baby!

Let’s think about spring for a moment. I love spring. The first day I can wear shoes without socks always feels as if we are finally on the way to summer. In this little piece of Tuscany we like to call Tasmania, spring is a fabulous season. Daffodils, jonquils and narcissus blanket gardens and grow wild in paddocks. The grass is so green it’s almost blinding. Little white lambs gambol and caper (gambolling is a thing only a little lamb can do) and run back to their mothers and bounce off again.

Fruit trees burst into blossom. They explode so quickly, I am always surprised you don’t hear a “BANG”. The deciduous magnolias put some real effort into their blooms and so do the camellias. Rhodos and azaleas look splendid. Trees start gearing up to put on leaves again. Spring is fun when you have four real seasons.

My major complaint about living in Queensland was that we were left very short of seasons. You really only had wet, dry and jacaranda (though I adored jacaranda and the way they stood in lakes of purply blue petals). The lack of proper seasons was reflected in the fact there were no proper spring flowers – if you wanted tulips or daffodils you had to put bulbs in the crisper of you refruigerator. No raspberries or currants, no good apples and pears, I missed proper summer fruit – although I was deeply in love with mangoes.

I adore all the seasons. Spring with its lushness; summer with its fruit and warmth; autumn with the crunchy leaves and harvest; winter with blustery winds and very occasional snow. I missed the seasons in Queensland and in Hong Kong. I love being back in Tasmania and watching the rounds each year.

Late spring brings the joy of lilac and crab-apple. One of my friends swears by checking the warmth of soil with her bottom – if the soil’s too cold to plant things, so is her bum!

Spring is done properly here. I saw my first bumble bee yesterday. I know that they were introduced to Tasmania, probably smuggled in by tomato and capsicum farmers. I know that they compete with native bees. But they’re so gorgeous and furry and buzzy and just too darned cute for words, how can you not love them!

Life is good and generally happy. Still de-cluttering – started a new bag for Lifeline last night, and I need to get some stuff listed on ebay (maybe tomorrow) and try to clear out another room. Currently 3 rooms of our house are junk rooms! This means they contain boxes and piles of junk that need to be sorted, housed or disposed of. Much of the junk comes from my Dad’s house. When he died I inherited most stuff, and when my stepmother moved out of the house 2 years later I got more! All of this needs to be sorted, and much will move on to new homes, one way or another.

Some of it has serious sentimental value and some has historical value. So it needs careful sorting and cataloguing (a task best accomplished without assistance from children! I plan to tackle the dining room at the weekend, then perhaps the big room the following week. Bits and pieces in between!

If I get this right, I’ll end up with more room for yarn, books, and shoes. A win all around, I think.

For those who are interested, the Birkenstocks came courtesy of ebay – just type in Birkis and your shoe size (European style). The cat ones also come in sheep, lion, cow, pig and horse varieties.

So here’s a toast to spring! Join me in a glass of something bubbly and alcoholic – oh it must be champers (let the appellation controlee lot deal with that one)! Yay, Spring!

8 comments:

2paw said...

I love the seasons. Today was almost a Summer's day!! I must do decluttering once school goes back. I need to declutter. A lot!!! You are doing an excellent job!!!

Taphophile said...

I'm really trying hard NOT to picture your friend taking the soil's temperature! ;)

Living in Sydney for so long, my first Spring back in Canberra was a shocking assault on my senses. Where did that vivid green come from, and the fragrance of hyacinths and freesias and lilac? Autumn is still my favourite season. I'd combine it with summer fruits and be a happy woman.

Go the declutter. You're doing so well. It is so hard to deal with legacy material, too (don't ask about the ruby glass in my hallway). Somethings just have to stay and that's that. More room for books, yarn and shoes sounds like a great goal, though.

MadMad said...

I love this post - I always learn so much about Australia here. But um... was her bottom bare for this test?

TinkingBell said...

Yes, Ms Madmad - that's the idea - bare bum - doesn't freeze of - we're ready to go with the vegie seeds!!! Mind you - she'd try and make sure no-one was looking at the time!

Denise said...

I love the seasons in Canberra too, proof that the year is moving right along as it should! Spring is sproinging here too (it is SO a word). My iris are about to burst forth!

Good luck decluttering - I need to do more of that too - it's so nice and refreshing when it's done!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Ahh... the changing of the seasons. When I lived on Vancouver Island, I missed the Autumn colours. Everything went from green to yellow and that was it. Mind you I could walk around in sandals with no socks in Feb. (that would be your August)

Here in Ontario we get beautiful colours in Autumn and I can't wait to take some pixs.

As for the bare bum test....I could do it easily....no one but sheep and chickens to see me. But would I do it????? Not on your life!!!

TrampledbyGeese said...

Wow, spring. I like spring best. I love getting potatoes in the ground, for me, that's the first act of spring because it happens when the last threat of frost has left for the year. Of course, up here it happens in January.

Fall is just starting here. It's nice enough, but I like spring better.

Good luck making more room for yarn.

Donna Lee said...

I love spring but I also love fall and that is where we are headed. The temp has been comfortable in the day and positively cool at night. I love putting on the sweaters and warm socks and waiting for the apples to come to market. For me, fall means holidays with Hallowe'en and then Thanksgiving and then Christmas. There are lights everywhere so the long dark nights are not so long or dark.