Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Carnival is Over...



Well, the school fete is a thing of the past. The money has been spent by the punters, sorry, parents and raised for the school, the grounds are tidy, and the money counted. My feet are back to normal, and because the planning meetings are finished, my social life has been halved.

Because we were pretty well organised, rubbish-wise, there was very little litter. Much less than a rock concert or sporting event, probably a little more than a lawn bowls match. Easy clean up.

I have finished my tea cosy for the swap, and will get it away tomorrow or Wednesday (if I have the address). I have bought the Christmas presents which need to go overseas and may try to write overseas Christmas cards this week.

So last night, exhausted and footsore, I had to decide what to knit. Should I try to finish my travelling sock (ptooey!), cast on the second secret sock (with my brain?) or cast on the Silk Garden for another Swing Jumper – gorgeous simplicity, beautiful yarn, occasional counting? Guess which won? Yup, Silk Garden Swing Jumper it was. Lovely easy knitting on largish needles, beautiful yarn. Happy as a clam.

This morning I got to catch up on your lives and found that Amy had tagged me for this meme. So here are what I would laughingly describe as responses to these questions (read on – you may be tagged at the end!)

1. One person who made me laugh – Amy for making me do this meme after I had read it on everyone else’s blog and laughed because I hadn’t been tagged (Yarning to write is alphabetically last in my (mostly) daily blog check). Serves me right!
2. What was I doing at 0800? Making lunch for The Accountant to take to work and hoping the kids wouldn’t wake up for 3 more hours! Hey, I can dream!
3. What was I doing 30 minutes ago? Watching ‘Bear in the Big Blue House’ – What, you missed it? Well. The otters dressed up for Halloween, and Bear said we smelled like pumpkins……
4. What did I do in 2006? Isn’t it still 2006? AArgh..then um.. I can’t remember – Was a mother, did stuff – OOOHHHH yes – became obsessed with knitting after re-discovering it in May 2006 – see what knitting a little hat, then some mittens can lead you into? First it’s the soft stuff, mittens, hats, then it’s socks and finally, you’re into the hard stuff – lace knitting, subscribing to Interweave Knits. It’s a slippery slope, guys!
5. Last thing I said aloud? ‘What’s the rolling bounce thing?’ (It was the sofa – 3 minutes before that it was ‘NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!’
6. Beverages? Only 1 latte so far, but I’m just about to make another one.
7. What colour is my hairbrush? Hairbrush coloured – sort of browny black, with fluff in it.
8. Last thing I paid for? 2 beanie kids, 2 showbags, entry to the fairy tent, 2 giant bubble wands, a yoghurt semolina cake and a small wood fired pizza. And he asks where the money goes!
9. Where was I last night? That would be home, exhausted after selling beanie kids at the fair and then helping clean up afterwards! (Besides, I have 2 small children – 5 and 3 – I’m home almost every night!)
10. Front door colour? Ox Blood red with etched glass and a light smattering of dust and cobwebs.
11. Where do I keep my change? In my wallet and the ashtray in my car – and in my children’s hot little hands!
12. What’s the weather like today? Sunshine, late spring, going to be 21 decrees Celsius (no idea in Fahrenheit) warm, slight breeze, sunny – fabulous!
13. Best ice cream flavour? Well, had lemon the other night, and a few nights ago had macadamia, caramel and toffee. Last night was ultra chocolate with cherry and yesterday at the fair was frozen raspberries and cherries smoooshhhedd through vanilla – they’re ALL my favourite – just not any combination of chocolate and mint. The other night on ‘The Cook and the Chef’ they made Halva, mint and pistachio ice cream – that could be a favourite. I like ice cream!
14. What excites me? Having 5 minutes to myself, a quiet house and time to knit. Or great wine, beautiful food and great company. My children on a good day, my husband and a picnic. Sun. Fresh air. Winter fires. Someone else doing the housework. My standards are low. Lots of things work.
15. I want to cut my hair? Nup – did that, growing it back long again – short hair needs too much work. Long hair just needs a brush and a big toothy clip thingy.
16. Am I over the age of 25? Dear me, I’m so far over that if I were a bit older I’d be talking about the blitz and how much worse things were during the depression and how kids today are…. Sorrry. I’ll stop now.
17. Do I talk a lot? Oh no, reticent, quiet, obedient, that’s me. Oh alright – never stop, chat to children, dogs, cats, chickens and occasional adults if they don’t get out of range in time. I’m practicing to be one of those people who corners you on buses and in places you can’t escape from and talks at you about my operations and children and what the voices tell me to do. Ye Gods, I could talk for Australia, and if they’d make it an Olympic sport I could say I was in training!
18. There seems to be no 18
19. Do I know anyone named Steve? Lots of them, in most variations, Steven, Stephen, Steve and Stefan.
20. Do I make up my own words? I certainly do, and if I can’t invent one, then I turn to Douglas Adams and ‘The Meaning of Liff’, because he’s got a whole stack of great ones in there.
21. Am I a jealous person? About family, yes. About anything else, not really – I see it as an opportunity to learn from people better/different from me – think rivalry, and occasionally, gentle envy.
21. Name a friend who starts with the letter A. Amy – she made me do this, it’s only fair she’s named in it.
22. Name a friend who starts with the letter K. My sister in law, Kaye – we all adore her.
23. Who’s the first person on my ‘Received Calls list? That requires a cell phone which actually gets turned on.
24. The last text message I received? See above.
25. Do I chew on my straw? I don’t think so – I would however, try to knit it.
26. Do I have curly hair? Boo Hoo – no I don’t, but wish I did and the proof is a series of bad perms. Now I just live with straightish, slightly wavy, boring hair.
27. Where’s the next place I’m going to? Kitchen for coffee, then laundry for washing then outside to the clothesline….should I go on?
28. Who is the rudest person in my life? My children, hands down. Tact and diplomacy are foreign countries to them
29. What was the last thing I ate? A piece of organic wholemeal toast with berry jam. In a better life it would have been eggs Benedict with chilled champagne and fresh peaches and raspberries and grapes. Bah, humbug!
30. Will I get married in the future? Certainly not. Far too much effort, I’ll stick with the one I married last time, thanks.
31. The best movie I’ve seen in the past 2 weeks? Pan’s Labyrinth (again) And ‘The Princess Bride’ (Again to the nth power)
32. Is there anyone you like right now? My family, my friends and blogpals, and I’m a bit inclined to like Eduardo Verastegui. This is Nora’s fault. Take it up with her.
33. Did I cry today? Not yet, but the kids are working on it!
34. Why did I answer and post this? Because Amy tagged me and I’m a good person who does what I’m told. And if you believe that, have I got a deal for you…. No, I got tagged and thought it would be fun.
35. Tag 5 people I would like to see do this survey. Well…..
Ms Trampled by Geese

Ms Mad, Mad Housewife

Bells

Knights-Don’t-Knit

Ms 2Paw,

and Rosered (because anything worth doing is worth overdoing!)

I'm sure they'll have fun!
That’s it for today. I’m off to put the washing out and play with kids and roll in my stash. No, clean the house – ha – got you – of course I’m not going to clean the house! We’re going to play outside and get covered in grass stains!

9 comments:

Bells said...

How come I don't get to be Ms?

Alright, I'm on it. When the photos run out this week, I'll do it. It's fun to read!

ps hairbrush coloured...tee hee

Amy Lane said...

Yours was so much fun!!!! (#18 was Do you watch the O.C.? Since I don't, I guess I just left it off on principle.)

Nice to meet another talker!!!!

Rose Red said...

Heh - if something needs overdoing, you can count on me to overdo it. Especially if it involves yarn or shoes. Which I guess this meme doesn't, really, but there you go. I'm sure I can link it in somewhere!!

Denise said...

Glad the fete is over and you have your life back!

Alwen said...

Oooo, Princess Bride, love that film!

(Oh, dear, you can tell how old I am because I remember when classroom movies came as big reels of film, and before that, filmstrips that just showed one frame at a time . . . just like Powerpoint slides! See how far we've come: we're back to filmstrips.)

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Is is pathetic that I'm almost sad that my kids have outgrown Bear in the Big Blue House?

As for getting married again. I've discovered that after 15 years I needed to get married again. The prezzies we got the first time around were wearing out and needed to be replaced. Sigh, still have the same old DH and same old stuff.

Nora said...

I'm anxioulsy waiting to see the swing jumper in Noro SG! What a beautiful yarn choice.

Nora

TrampledbyGeese said...

That was fun. Thanks for the tag - I was wondering what I was going to write about today.

MadMad said...

HA! You are so funny - I laughed a lot through this! (And learned a lot, too!) I'm going to have to do some thinking before doing the meme, though - that was a whole lot of questions...