Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Day in the Country

We had a great day yesterday. We visited Tasmazia, a maze complex and pancake parlour.

There are 4 big persons mazes and 2 kids mazes and a scale model village reflecting the owners sense of humour. Think Cockington Green but much larger houses (1/5th scale) . The great maze is huge, there's a replica of Hampton Court maze, a hexagonal maze and the confusion maze. It's all good, clean, outdoorsy fun.

The children ran and ran and got lost and found things in the mazes (the cubby villagem, the 3 little pigs houses, the 3 bears house and so on), ate pancakes for lunch and again for afternoon tea, crawled over the village, followed the yellow brick road and generally had a wonderful outdoor time. We last went there when the Princess was a baby, and the maze hedges are around 5 feet taller than they were then - and they were about 6 feet tall then!

I can't think why we've left it so long. It's only a bit over half an hour's drive away, it's no more expensive than going to the movies (not that we do that either), you can take a picnic if you don't want to buy pancakes, and it's such great fun for the kids.

Sprout is growing and I am all ready for the Selfish summer Kal and for the summer of lace and the summer of socks. I have tidied and catalogued the several forests worth of downloaded patterns and increased the favourite knitpicks harmony tips.

I am ready. Bring on summer!

13 comments:

m1k1 said...

What a delightful looking place. A great day out I am sure. It really has to go on my MustGetThere list.

2paw said...

It is nice there. I went there a long time ago. My friends visited a maze in FNQ and Olivia Newton-John was there!! What is the Selfish Summer KAL??

Rose Red said...

I have never heard of Tasmazia but now I really want to go there - mazes AND pancake? What could be better!

Michelle said...

That sounds like heaps of fun, and one more excuse to visit your part of the world one day!

TinkingBell said...

Absolutely!

I am expecting lots of knitting visitors and we have room to spare!

Kate (Kiss My Frog) said...

What a great place! It has duly been entered on the Places To See list. :)

My verification word is "pigess". Do you think somebody is trying to tell me something?

Donna Lee said...

A selfish kal? Is that where you knit for yourself? Or is it a pattern?

It sounds like a great day. I like days when the kids get to run around outside and enjoy the weather and the adults get to be amused too.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I've heard the same old story from many people. We tend to forget about the attractions in our own back yard unless we are entertaining a visitor.
Selfish Summer KAL.....sounds like fun....keep us posted!

Amy Lane said...

Oh wow--that sounds like a lovely time!!! We haven't taken the little ones to a maze yet--need to find one!

DrK said...

i think the whole state should change its name to tazmazia. very funny. i am contemplating a leisl by the way, do you think they come up very bulky?

MadMad said...

Sounds like a great place to me! (Though sometimes these places are great BECAUSE we don't go to them all the time, so don't beat yourself up about it!) Love the idea of a selfish summer KAL, too - perfect!

amanda j said...

We love the mazes! Great fun for the whole family!

Elizabeth McClung said...

Wow, I really want to go to Tazmania, I love mazes, they are cool - and because I am in a wheelchair, I could even go in the kids mazes, hee hee!