Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random Stuff

Random Stuff

We’re still waiting for news after another round of tests and so on – especially wondering when the radiation therapy will start. I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful comments and good thoughts. I want you to know how much we appreciate them – and you!

So I thought I’d follow Bells lead and blog some random stuff.

1. Suddenly, for the last couple of weeks, all the security letters when I leave comments are ALMOST words – today’s examples: ‘siting’, ‘yvolene’, ‘begest’. Very strange.

2. I’ve been loving knitting with Blue Moon’s Twisted. There’s 500m to a skein – I will finish Mr Green Jeans with less than 2 skeins. It doesn’t split at all, and the dark thread, so obvious when you look at the yarn, magically disappears when you knit. The knitted fabric shows no dark thread at all – weird.

3. My children are part of a conspiracy to drive me insane by ensuring a constant noise level of around a million decibels which never lets up unless they are asleep. I’m wise to them. When I can find the industrial ear-muffs I’m wearing them all day.

4. Watching little kids play cricket is hysterical. They had such fun and I laughed so much my stomach hurt.

5. I’m feeling smug because I am fitting into size 14 trousers. This is a good thing.

6. If you have enough caffeine, you don’t really need to sleep.

7. People are wonderful and kind. The Accountant’s step-brother and his girlfriend decided to ‘pay’ for the accounting work which the Accountant does for them by spending several hours mowing and whipper-snippering for us. There is a place reserved in heaven for them.

8. I’ve been to two sports carnivals in the last fortnights. The commentator said ‘ we take kindergarteners who are just developing coordination skills and tie them to other kids who are only just developing coordination and call it a 3 legged race, and then we watch them fall over and they laugh’. He was right. All the kids fell over and they all laughed. And so did we. And at least 2 pairs never made it to the finish line because they were laughing so hard they couldn’t get off the ground.

9. I have a lot of sock yarn. So I just bought 2 skeins of Malabrigo sock because I thought they needed some company.

10. I love the colours of Malabrigo. I love them so much I even like colours I don’t like.

11. Georgie is a genius. I’ve been using her meal planning and shopping method. I get out a cookbook, try to pick 5 recipes which I believe will use up some of the enormous pantry store I keep in case zombies attack and we have no food for a month or so, use only that cookbook for the week, make the shopping list and record the reactions. This stops me just buying vegetables I might as well throw straight into the compost and skip the intervening step where they go urgh in my crisper drawers.

12. I have startitis. Bells tempted me and I cast on the Shetland Triangle with the Indisch Rot Wollmeise. I have done the 20 necks rows. I will finish this cardigan before I do more.

13. I have managed 18 rows on the socks I started at Easter. I now have one and nearly a half socks. This is the first sock club kit from the Rockin’ Sock Club. It is also the only one I have cast on and the only sock knitting I have done since we returned from Fiji. In June.

Enough randomness. I’m off to feed lunch to Destructoboy, before heading out to the kindie information session. My the Lord have Mercy on their souls. He is looking forward to ‘big school’. So am I.

11 comments:

Bells said...

Size 14 jeans! Well done!

I was just thinking about George's meal planning post this morning and realised I have failed miserably. I will try it again too because in the past, it's worked like a charm for me.

Very much looking forward to seeing Mr Greenjeans. He's on my list for next winter.

Can't believe you bought more malabrigo. Actually, I can believe it.

Rose Red said...

Ha ha - I also can't but can believe you bought more malabrigo.

I probably should do George's meal thing too. Especially now that we've settled on our new house and have a HUGE mortgage. I do wonder though if I plant the decaying vegies from the fridge, will they grow in the backyard??

Have been thinking of you a lot lately and sending healthy thoughts.

Crafty Things said...

Sending positive thoughts your way.

I have had a few good verifcations lately including a real word 'piers' just the other day.

Geek Knitter said...

I understand the impulse to buy more sock yarn. But if on the off chance you ever feel you have too much, remember that you have my address.

The picture in my head of two children tied together laughing so hard they can't up made me laugh so hard my husband came to check on me. Thanks, I needed that.

Thinking of you and your family.

2paw said...

I really did consider commiting Bus Piracy, but I think the 11 other ill people could overwhelm me!!
So you're not the 'size of an elephant'? Well done'!!! How I miss Danger Island and The Arabian Nights and that one where everyone was small.
Yep, there has to be something in it for teachers: KInder 3-legged race fits the bill: it's a perk!!

amanda j said...

I will have to check out the meal planning idea. I am useless at this stuff.

I just oogled the Malabrigo sock yarn. A bit out of my league at the moment, but I do have a birthday coming up!

By the way, I am about to type upshom as a word verification.

Donna Lee said...

I never understood the point of three legged races. Now I get it. The thought of the very little ones falling over is going to run through my head today and make me smile. And isn't it nice when people come forward and help out when you're not expected.

Alwen said...

Verification words have gone strange, haven't they! I just got "oveness" - I will indeed have some oven-ess going on before our Thanksgiving holiday next week.

What would my winter compost pile do without that infusion (they are pretty soggy) of urgh veg from the drawer?

DrK said...

i love these random lists. very amusing. mmmmmmm malabrigo. is it possible to have too much? ah, no. my word today is 'dersb'. thanks for that blogger. thinking of you.

MadMad said...

Oh, I've been thinking of you! Thanks for the update! Can't wait to get my hands on some Malabrigo sock - it must be stunning. (I'm trying to be good, though, and not buy any more yarn.... I wonder how long that resolution will last?)

Amy Lane said...

Wow-- the knitting is definitely keeping you busy--and bless the family for helping to keep the place up! (And definitely congratulations for the size 14s)

Sock yarn is very social--and even if you don't buy more yarn to keep it company, it seems to reproduce on its own.